Butter Chicken Curry is one of my favorite dishes. My husband, being born and raised in Durban South Africa, loves a good curry. There’s a large Indian community in Durban and you can find the most delicious authentic curry dishes there. So the bar for a good curry dish is pretty high.
I came across this Crockpot Butter Chicken Curry recipe a few years ago on Living Lou and it’s been a favorite for my family. The kids love it and it’s very rare that we end up with leftovers. It’s so delicious and easy to put together.Jump to Recipe
Over the years I’ve adjusted the spices so it’s not as spicy for the kids. I also love using coconut cream instead of coconut milk, it makes the sauce creamier. My favorite one to get is the coconut cream from Trader Joes. The choice of greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt is one of my favorites because it gives a little tartiness to the sauce. I’ve also experimented with sautéing half the onions, before adding them to the crockpot for a more rich flavor, and I think it’s worth the extra step.
Living Lou mentions that she sometimes browns the meat before adding it to the crockpot, according to her, it’s delicious. I have yet to try this. It’s hard to imagine this Butter Curry recipe being more delicious.
We pop all the ingredients into the crockpot a little after breakfast. Then we head out for the day, most often to the beach, and come home to the house smelling divine, ready for dinner.
Butter Chicken Curry
- 1.5 lbs boneless chicken breasts or thighs – cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 red onion – finely diced
- 1 can coconut cream – Trader Joes Coconut cream
- 1/4 cup full-cream greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic – crushed
- 4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger – minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp butter – can't go wrong with Kerrygold
- Sauté onions until brown
- Add chicken pieces to crockpot
- In a medium bowl, whisk coconut cream with greek yogurt, tomato paste, garlic, garam masala, curry powder, ginger, turmeric, and salt.
- Pour mixture and spread over top of chicken and onions and cook for 7 hours on low heat setting.
- Stir after 3.5 hours of cooking
- 30 minutes before serving, stir in sugar and butter. Place the lid back on to reheat.
- Serve over Basmati Rice & Naan.
How I love crockpot recipes. They’re so easy and convenient. We’ve had our crockpot since we got married, which will be 10 years this year. It’s still going strong. It’s made hundreds of family meals.
The Butter Chicken Curry is definitely a crowd-pleaser. It won’t disappoint. Go check out Living Lou for her version of Butter Chicken and other fantastic recipes. I look forward to trying more. If you try my version of the Butter Chicken Curry, mention @BarberellaHome or tag #Barberellahome.